the story of hoi polloi

12.5.05 Leave a Comment

So I generated this blog to waste some time. The idea was suggested by my older and wiser sister - I won't go much further into her at this time as I'm sure you'll hear more about her in the future. In fact, since I'm the creator of this blog, I can pretty much guarantee it. Moving on....

I thought for a long time (a good five minutes) on what the topic of my first blog post should be. After all, this is a pretty big event. The fate of this blog relies on whether I'm able to keep an audience. Let's forget for the moment that the audience will likely be my family and friends, cause if my family and friends won't even read it, who will? Right, so I decided to basically just talk about some cool words that I discovered while searching for a cool name for my blog.

First off, hoi polloi. What is that? I'm not going to go too far into it, but apparently it means 'the many' in some language I don't know. It's a term used for commoners. I thought it was fitting, as I'm part of the hoi polloi, no matter how much I'd like to deny it. Plus, it's fun to say.

There are a number of websites on 'cool' words. I browsed them and saw some words that I also think are cool. Like lugubrious. Fandango. Brouhaha. Glockenspiel (not actually cool, but fun to say nonetheless.... although, it brings back bad memories of band class and watching, I swear, an hour long movie of pure medieval glockenspiel music. Funny story, it actually wasn't a glockenspiel in the movie, but I could have sworn that's what the instrument was called. Though today I was proven wrong. But it doesn't matter as I'll always think of the glockenspiel and shudder). Vociferous. Plebeian. Maudlin. Louche. I could probably go on, but I'll spare you.

I'd like to think of myself as a writer although I haven't written anything in quite some time. I like words. I try to store them. You can probably expect those words to show up in future posts. So keep an eye for them. Or don't. How will I know the difference?

1 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    das coo that you have your own blog now. how bout jazzin' it up with some pics now?